February 12, 2007, 05:39:29 AM
News: Welcome to Side X Side Action's Forum!
  Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tires  (Read 793 times)
SidexSide_editor
Administrator
Hard Core

View Profile
Tires
« on: May 01, 2006, 09:07:43 PM »

What tires is everyone running? 

Any tires you've had problems with?   
Rebel Ranger
Novice

View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:27:36 PM »

I run 30" Mudlights and love them. Have had no problems yet

"DON'T FOLLOW ME I'M CRAZY"
ramsfan
Extreme

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 10:51:18 PM »

kenda bounty hunter 26x12x14

ramsfan
Extreme

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:42:38 AM »

these tires are great and they already have a special version for side x side units

prowrench
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 02:42:16 AM »

Running ITP XTR Radials in the OEM size on stock SE wheels. Works far better than most I have seen. Big tires = big mistake...
hornedone
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 11:47:15 AM »

26" XTR radials and have not had any problems with them
Rebel Ranger
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 09:34:23 PM »

Quote from: prowrench on June 09, 2006, 02:42:16 AM
Running ITP XTR Radials in the OEM size on stock SE wheels. Works far better than most I have seen. Big tires = big mistake...
Why big mistake?
I have 106 hours on a set up 30" XXL Mudlight and i have had no proplems and i drive ANYWHERE.
I broke one axle climbing a rock crawl in windrock that i shouldn't have been one anyway.
Front bearings are still good but i will change them at 200 hours just to be sure.
I guess i just don't understand why "Big Tires = Big Mistake.
Trevis

"DON'T FOLLOW ME I'M CRAZY"
SidexSide_editor
Administrator
Hard Core

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 11:56:36 PM »

I'm a fan of the stock tire size, the engine was built for that size tire and tune for that size tire, so why change it?

I drive my rhino in the Sand a lot however so a bigger tire causes the machine to bog down. I think that in a hard pack or mud environment a 26" tire would be optimum as you're not getting as much resistance.
ramsfan
Extreme

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 04:18:11 PM »

I have 2 sets my stock tires and the Kendas\  the only problem I ran into was when I burried my front left side to deep and tried to turn under power

bflemingor
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 10:16:43 AM »

I'm running Mini Desert Traks (STU) in the sand, and stockers everywhere else.  The MDTs offer lots of float, and just the right bite for soft sand.
Tomcar
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 05:07:35 PM »

I have a Tomcar running on knobby all-terrain tires: Front: 25x8-12 and Rear: 26x12-12. Weight of the vehicle is 1500#. Has a 3-cylinder engine with CVT. I can only get 25-30MPH in a vehicle that easily tops 45MPH in the wild. I must be bogging down in the soft stuff.
I'm looking for help (HELP!) figuring what tires are best for FLAT SoCal beaches, with fine, ungroomed sand. Assume they might occasionally run on pavement from place to place (1-2% of the time). I would probably replace the heavy, reinforced steel rims with aluminum.
These are strictly flat beaches, no dunes. V-paddle? Straight paddle? Those snow,sand,mud knobby-type? Should I change the front tires too even though it's a 2WD?
I've been on the Net but the search for answers is frustrating. Heard ITP dunestars, paddlemasters, Maxxis Sur-Trk. Any help would be appreciated.
ramsfan
Extreme

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 04:03:34 PM »

I think it has alot to do with what you will be doing I say see what would be the most well rounded tire for your environment and get that if you do that it will work out the best.

Outlaw Baird
Hard Core

"GET 'R Done"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 09:47:51 AM »

I just bought Innova Mudders.  I put 26X10X12 on the front and 26X12X12 on aluminum rims.  I took the Desert Rat on a 90 mile round trip yesterday with the new shoes and she performed better than ever!  According to my GPS, my top speed was 40.2 mph with the tires aired down to 7 PSI all the way around.  The top speed with the stock tires and rims was only 37mph.  I went thru loose sand, flooded trails at about 30 inches deep with mud bottoms, mud without water, asphault, hard packed sand, slate rock and quartz rock.  The latter two were on the side of some mountains.  The Innovas handled everything like a champ!  I can't figure out why more people aren't running these tires.

Modifications to date:

16 gauge steel pre-runner plate fabricated outta mil-spec 16 gauge steel.

FOX fog lights mounted to existing bolts that hold on hard top

Yamaha Hard Top

GPS (handheld/temporary mount)

Innova 26 inch mud tires and aluminum rims

5 gallon fuel can with fuel can mount installed in bed

Seat belt cushions

Red somthun or other portable winch.  (Broke last time out)

HRC door inserts

Brushed aluminum shift knob (better grip than stock with wet gloves/hands)

'06 Rhino 660 4X4
'05 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 
'04 Roadstar Customized
'04 Hornet R/V Trailer
'00 Glastron SX170 Ski Boat
Empty Wallet!! Smiley
ramsfan
Extreme

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 11:57:08 PM »

welcome to the money pit LOL sxs are so fun to mod even if they are homemade it is alot of fun.

kykult64
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 01:27:31 PM »

I have a new set of 26" Maxxis Bighorns.  Has anyone had any experience with these tires?  Has anyone played with tire pressures for trail riding.  I have motocross raced for years but do not have any experience with utility/side by sides.
  Pages: [1] 2
Print

'; // And this is the replacement for the subject. var smf_template_subject_edit = ''; // Restore the message to this after editing. var smf_template_body_normal = '%body%'; var smf_template_subject_normal = '%subject%'; var smf_template_top_subject = "Topic: %subject%  (Read 793 times)" if (window.XMLHttpRequest) showModifyButtons(); // ]]>
Jump to: